In the constant struggle between ISPs and spammers, legitimate marketers get caught up somewhere in the middle. ISPs have an array of techniques and technologies they employ to keep out spammers and to determine legitimate senders of email, and one such technique is the spam trap or honey pot.
What is a Spam Trap?
By definition, a spam trap is an email address maintained by an ISP or third party, which neither clicks nor opens emails, meaning it does not actively engage with the emails it receives.
Marketers need to be aware of two types of spam traps:
- Honey pot addresses, which are email addresses created and spread across websites, forums etc. waiting to be scraped or harvested by spammers. Some organizations involved in fighting spam put specific email addresses on a website for the sole purpose of attracting spammers to use harvesting software to gather and send spam emails to.
- Recycled email addresses, which are email addresses that once belonged to a user, but have since been abandoned or closed. They are then reactivated at a later date and monitored to see who is still emailing to that address.
Latest News on Email Marketing:
- GetElasitc - Email Marketing that Drives Conversions [Infographic]
- artegic - 6 Tipps, wie Sie kurze und prägnante Betreffzeilen erstellen
- Forbes - How A Fortune 1000 Brand Uses Email To Stay Engaged
- ConstantContact - 15 Truths You Must Know To Create Almost Perfect Subject Lines
- Econsultancy - Seven tips for managing email marketing campaigns
- eCircle - DMARC: Der Durchbruch zur Bekampfung von SPAM
- MediaPost - Ready to Go Mobile-First? The Experts Have Some Advice
- PR Daily - 8 surprising stats about the power of email marketing
- Optivo - Individualisierung: Die Königsdisziplin im E-Mail-Marketing
- PR Daily - 7 sins of email marketing
- ClickZ - The Changing Landscape of Email Investment
- Pure360 - Improving the reach of your email marketing campaigns
- Marketing Land - E-mail Open Rates Declining, Click-Through Rates Rising [Study]
- ConstantContact - An Email Marketer’s Guide to Collecting Customer Feedback
- HubSpot - The Email Campaign You Need to Clean Your List & Re-Engage Subscribers
- PR Daily - 93 percent of teens prefer to communicate via email and phone
- SUPERcomm - 15 vertrauensbildende Maßnahmen für Ihr E-Mail-Marketing
- artegic - 6 E-Mail Marketing Tipps für effiziente B2B-Kommunikation
- Newsletter2Go - Newsletter-Elemente über Pinterest teilen
- GraphicMail - Wie man persönliches und zielgruppenorientiertes E-Mail Marketing durch Kundensegmentierung betreibt!